[RC] Advice on Mountain Lions - sherman

Title: Message
Definitely do not ride alone! Most attacks that I've read about were people walking or a biker that had gotten off his bike, maybe bent over to check something and thus looking small, so yes, make yourself look BIG, if you feel threatened pull your jacket or shirt up over your head exaggerate your size. I don't think it's likely they would attack someone on horseback, but there is at least one recorded incident of that since attacks have been recorded. Also, they do not like being seen, so if you keep your eyes on them they're less likely to attack. Dawn Simas is our expert on big cats, she'll have some advice, maybe already posted it but since I'm on digest and ridecamp is not archiving I can't read anything 'til the digest is sent out.

On a less scary note, yesterday in So. Cal. 3 Chihuahuas kept a mt. lion at bay in their garage, "protecting" the three yr old girl that had followed the dogs into the garage.

Kathy