Re: [RC] Biting horse - Barbara McCrary

I have a gelding that nipped me about three times in the upper arm while I was leading him.  The first time that happened, I turned to him with my hands on my hips and said in a stern voice, "That had better have been a mistake!"  The third, and hopefully the last time, I "bit" him back.  I immediately bit him on the side of his neck with my fingers in a beak-like position, and I did it as hard as I could.  I didn't say anything this time, I just retaliated just like a horse would.  He never tried that again.

Barbara

Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 3:55 PM
Subject: [RC] Biting horse

I am having a problem with a horse that has bitten people several times when they are standing  near her with their backs turned and she is tied. She means business because her ears are back. I want to wallop her in the face, but know I should not.   By the time you can get her untied and jerked around as punishment, the time frame for punishment has about run out. I would like to hear from anyone with similar past experiences.  Thanks,  Julie Suhr

Download the AOL Classifieds Toolbar for local deals at your fingertips. (http://toolbar.aol.com/aolclassifieds/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000004)