[RC] easy keepers - Jean Miller

I have an easy keeper on 15 acres of green pasture.  She does have 2 pasture mates.  They are out 24/7 except for brief periods in the AM and PM when they come in for a small amount of grain with their supplements, mostly selenium.  I ride the Fat Pony 3 to 4 times a week and yes I worry.  I did ask Eleanor Kellon about my Fat Pony and she told me to keep conditioning her and she would be fine.  i ride anywhere between 7, 9, 10, or over 15 miles each time she goes out.  The rides are not real fast, her build is stocky and she huffs and puffs at a canter.  On the other hand, there is a huge difference between her ability this year and her pasture potato status of last year.  If we make an average of 6 mph I am thrilled.  If she can trot and canter for a mile without stopping, I am ecstatic!!  It certainly is not the same as riding my arab but it is a whole lot safer.  She gets the job done, just not very fast.  But then I am not so fast anymore either.  The big plus is that I can ride her spooks and not fall off.  Each horse is different, if I didn't ride her so much, I would probably limit her pasture time, but so far, knock on wood, she is doing okay.  Jeanie