[RC] Virginia Highlands Endurance Challenge - Sluys Guys

Hi Folks, I just wanted to talk up the Virginia Highlands Endurance Challenge a bit. The date is August 28-29. This will be our second year and hopefully it will be as successful as last year (over 200 riders!!). The camp is at the Ivanhoe Horse Show Grounds at Jubilee Park on the New River in Ivanhoe, Virginia. It is flat as a pancake and big enough for everyone, the fire department has been working on it all year. They have opened up some more shady camping and have completed the arena where the vet in will be. The vet checks during the ride will be at away locations BUT there will be only ONE location each day (as opposed to 3 last year) so will make it much easier on crews. One day we will go to Iron Mountain Horse Camp for the vet check , equipped with bathrooms, a tack shop and ice cream and sodas for sale. The other day we will have the vet check at Don and Nicki Meuten's (the ride managers) new property in Cripple Creek. You will have the most fantastic 360 degree view that you can imagine overlooking the creek, the town of Cripple Creek and the mountain range. It's just awesome! The rides will be a 50/30 one day and a 55/30 on the other day. Riders will be happy to know that we have less than half of the gravel road we had last year. The day we do Don & Nicki's we will be riding a whole new loop with great views and a combination of wide sweeping forest service trail and single track.
Both days are challenging but doable mountain rides. Not as steep as some of the climbs at the OD but you'll sure know you've done something by the time you get back to camp.
Everybody raved about the ride last year and this year will be twice as good so you'd better put this one on your calendar now! The area also has lots of other attractions so would be a great ride to build a vacation around.
See ya'll on the trail,
Nancy Sluys