Re: [RC] State Parks (OT) - Sisu West Ranch

"...statistics from the IMF..."

1. Several of the principalities* mentioned are extremely small. I'm sure one could find similar sized areas in the USA where the average income, and health were as good or better.

2. Even Norway is not near the size or diversity of the USA. They do not have to deal with trying to figure out how to change the living, and work pattern of historically tromped on groups like the native Americans and ex-slaves**.

3. In many countries where the health and standard of living are as good or better than the USA, land is in very short supply. I suspect that an annual income that has allowed me to own land to pasture personal horses these last 35 years, would not suffice to even allow me to board one horse not to mention owning a rig to transport the horse hundreds of miles to an endurance ride.

As examples of the opportunity in the USA.

1. I spent many years working in St. Paul MN. St Paul has a large Hmoung population. They arrived penniless, and generally were in SE Asia substance farmers. They did have the virtues of being willing to work hard, and make sure their children got the best possible education. Examples (not statistically based, but from personal experience.): I have a friend who taught elementary school. Soon after they arrived, she sent some notes home asking for parents to come in as the children were not doing well. Experienced with the usual minorities, she expected only few to show up and those with excuses for the child. Instead they wanted to know how hard they should beat the children! She asked for and got them to use other methods to motivate the kids. Her comment: "They are going to be fine americans." My last few years at 3M I worked with a number who had been born in SE Asia, but had completed college. They were all good coworkers.

2. In my second mariage I had a French son-in-law. He had wanted to go to college, but because of the way that the "free" French university system worked he could not because at age 12 his father, and the government run school system, had decided that he should be an electrician. He is now a college graduate and teaching French in a commnity college. He told me (and I do quote) "America is truely the land of opportunity".

Ed

*I am not sure what the correct terminology is now but in the past some extremely small quite independent states were considered "principalities" and not countries. I do think that it is very hard to compare a state the size of Singapore to the USA.

**I am liberal enough that I would like the government to spend my tax money to help these groups realize their full potential, but am conservative enough to realize that all the monies spend over the last 100 years have not seemed to help. I do not know the solution to this very real problem, and it bothers me.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 381-5527