[RC] stallions - Leah McGregor

Hi Marlene,
I ALWAYS correct my stallions if they drop when being handled/ridden anything I am involved with them in and they are not breeding. They are NOT allowed to do this. Stallions are very much give them an inch and they will take a mile down the road. Mine have always known from the tone of my voice and my body language they are in big dodo if they do not put it away. I will thump them on the belly in front of the offending part, never on it. I would set him up in situations where you are comfortable getting after him, until he respects your tone and mannerism in public. The other consideration I will share with you that prevented me from taking my stallion out on the trail competing was this......A mare or gelding can act up, pin their ears, maybe throw a kick, carry on at the trailer and be forgiven by the group usually....A stallion misbehaves and you will never hear the end of it.
My stallion is 17H by the way and I am 5'5", you should not have to man handle any stallion, it is your presences and mannerism they need to respect. Watch a stallion in a pasture with the mares, the mares from their tone and body language control where that stallion is.
Be the BossMare.
--
Leah McGregor

www.hungarianhorse.com