Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] Aegis Aspen helmet WARNING! - Katrina Mosshammer

I learned that lesson with rubber/plastic flip flops. I sprayed my feet thoroughly with OFF and instantly the color was rubbing off and I had BLUE FEET for a week! LOL
Now I'm very careful how I put the bug spray on. LOL

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763)

From: "Sharon Levasseur" <sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:30 AM
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ectra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <aercmembersforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AERCMembersForum] Aegis Aspen helmet WARNING!

I still love my new Aegis Aspen because of the way it fits, but if you
have one or are going to buy one, **DO NOT SPRAY IT WITH BUG SPRAY**.

At the 3-day ride last weekend I sprayed my whole body with Deep Woods
Off, just like I always do, and where it touched the helmet it
completely ruined the finish.  It looks all scarred up, kind of
scratchy and white.  Wetting it and scrubbing hard with a thumbnail
does remove most of the residue, but it leaves a shiny finish
underneath instead of the matte finish the rest of the helmet has.
Because of this, I didn't bother trying Goo Gone, rubbing alcohol, or
anything like that... it would still have looked awful afterwards.

The good news is, State Line Tack is sending me a new one, as well as
a UPS call tag to send the old one back.  I will be contacting Devon
Aire to let them know about this crucial flaw in their product design.

I still recommend this helmet, but from now on I will bug spray my
head BEFORE I put my helmet on... it won't be difficult to remember,
since I already make sure I don't get it on my sunglasses or my
diamond ring.  I just wish I had known before I ruined a perfectly
good helmet.

-Sharon L. in Maine

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional