[RC] drug rule - Nancy Reed

I had an email conversation w/ a vet from the committee several years ago about this issue.  It was explained to me that AERC did not have the money to do the quantitative (amount) tests, but had the money to do the less expensive presence tests.
Truman is correct that it is the amount of the substance in many (not all) cases at issue.  I personally have a very big issue w/ changing my horses diet just before a ride; it goes against good horsemanship and can (and does in some horses) cause colic at the ride.
As that was several years ago, is the new testing quantitative?  If yes, this whole argument is a informative exercise.
So the follow up is what test will be done?  I think you need an assay of some sort to quantify the amount of the substance.  A screen test (called a tox screen in the medical field) will only be a positive/negative result  and is dependent on the limits of the machine used.  Sorry to muddy up the waters more, but if AERC is moving to a quantitative test then we should all be able to rest easier on this.
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA