[RC] rancid oil, omega 3 and 6's - Nancy Reed

I was lucky and got to a Platinum lecture a few weeks ago.  The man who spoke must have had a PhD in biochemistry as I (a retired RN) had a hard time keeping up with him!  He was very clear about oil and horses.  The problem w/ corn oil is two fold; rancidity and omega 3/6 balance.  The oil can and does get rancid very easily w/ heat.  He suggested you taste it before you give it.  He never said the oils would get rancid in the horses' stomach after ingestion.
As a side note he also said we should taste any fish oil supplements before we ingest the first one out of the bottle.  If it tastes like a good salmon steak, keep the supplements. If not, return it and get your money back! The fish oils supplements must be refrigerated to stay fresh and not become rancid.
As to the omega 3/6 ratios, most of the nuts oils are BAD for horse and human. This is due to too much omega 6's and not enough omega 3's.  The omega 6's cause inflammation and blood clotting.  Yes, we need some of this, but not very much.  On the other hand the omega 3's do the opposite and do not promote inflammation and clotting.
Horses need 1 part O-6's to 5 parts O-3's.  Most nut oils are opposite of this.  According to the lecture, with the hybridization of corn for bio-fuels the ratios are now 18 to 1!  Just horrible for horses and humans.  The current thinking is most of our Western chronic illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc) is due to chronic inflammation and how we avoid and treat these diseases will change in the future.
He recommended flax seed oil and a small amount of rice bran, nothing else.
For more information you can go to the Platinum web site.  Hope that made sense!
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA