[RC] clipping in summer? - Elyse Carreno

I have?occasionally clipped at the end of winter for those early spring rides, especially when heading south, but I'm not a regular clipper. This spring, however,?I am thinking about clipping for a later ride (at the end of May, CT region) Due to injury?to my main horse, my retired old quarter horse is getting pulled out of the closet, dusted off, and being taken to an LD. She's the unfortunate Impressive-bred, too much muscle on too little feet, chunk-a-lunk type. I want to give her all the cooling advantage she can have, so I was thinking about doing a neck and shoulders clip.?I know it supposedly ruins the look of their summer coat etc etc, but amongst us endurance people where baling twine is an acceptable form of tack repair, we know that's not my main concern. I'm thinking more along the lines of?compromising protection from flies, sunburn etc. So I'm wondering what are people's experience with this? Do people do it? Does it provide much benefit?
?
-Elyse