[RC] Part 4 Biltmore & Flood Adventure - Darolyn Butler

I started the 5th loop (the one with the mile of bad gravel road) with the “gloves” on so I wouldn’t have to stop and put them on at the gravel, but I noticed Mercy didn’t seem nearly as surefooted with them on as it had rained and the trails were very slick in places.  Shortly after the gravel, Nina Warren came by and we chatted about the slickness… geesh I thought, and quickly got down and removed them.  They are really quick and easy to take off.  I had to do that loop one more time and the next time, I just waited until I got to the gravel, put the boots on, and then removed them right after once again.  So in total, I may have run about 8 miles of the 100 in the boots.  My finish at 11:21 PM gave our little group of 6 Cypress Trails Horses a 100 per cent completion rate in a race that went from 67% in the 50, to 62% in the 100.  I think both riders and veterinarians were amazed.  I’m always surprised though that more people don’t ask to look at their feet after such a ride.

One fellow rider did ask me if I fed a special supplement to make their feet hard.  “Nope”, I said.  “Oh, they are just Texas tough?” he replied.  I laughed, “Are you kidding?  I live in a swamp and sand.  I have to go lookin’ for broken asphalt to find anything abrasive to ride on.  They are just healthy feet and have thick hoof walls and soles.”   It’s really interesting; Mercy and June both have very flat feet.  I used to stress about the lack of concavity, but now I think those thick soles just give them extra protection.

Valerie Kanavy rode a brilliant 100 Mile ride on her latest up and coming star, Spectacular Gold, followed closely by Farzad Faryadi on Bullwinkle.

75 Milers: A local rider, Bonnie Hannah won the AERC Divistion on Rezus Respite.   CeCi and DJB Juniper 1st FEI Division.   B.C. went to Stagg Newman's horse Super ridden by Dom Freeman of Britain.

50 Miler: Bob Geilen won and BC'd in the AERC Division and Enrique Searle Martinez and DJB Fantasia won the FEI & BC Division.

Our group was on a total high.  This is 18 year old Enrique’s 5th ride since he’s been in the U.S. and he impresses me at each one of them.  Deborah and Elizabeth are very new riders and doing great.  Carol is an old hand, but has had some injuries that have kept her sidelined.  So good to have her up and riding.  I know I can always count on the ladies to take care of my horses.  And of course the indomitable CeCi, who did a fabulous job on one of my favorite mares, Juniper.  Crew was audacious as CeCi’s husband, Jason Stasiuk, Donna Shifflette, Kate Burnett, and Elizabeth’s Aunt Diana proved to be right on top of everything!  And of course, there were those that jumped in with help at the line, like Jeremy Reynolds and loaners of hay and “strange grain”!!  Thanks everyone!!

Darolyn Butler

Cypress Trails & Horseman Video Showcase

21415 Cypresswood Dr.

Humble, TX  77338-1287

(281)446-7232    FAX(281)446-0113

E-mail:  darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx