[RC] electric fencing - Donna DeYoung

for horses that run thru electric, if that is your main fencing/perimeter fencing or even if you use it for separating pastures,  I can't recommend Horse Guard fencing highly enough. It puts a stop to the toughest horses when installed correctly (with tension). I have a smaller temporary pasture that I use other electric on (string or a weaker strand of Horse Guard not attached to permanent fencing), but only put my gentle/older horses out there. Horse Guard also sells a fence tape that doesn't require grounding. The horses totally respect Horse Guard and even when it's not on, they will stay away from it.

PS. for a horse breaking thru fencing, she may not be getting shocked. she might be scuttling under before it shocks her. I had a mare do this a few times, going thru a string fence I had set up to keep them away from the backside of my barn. I watched her do it TWICE, without getting shocked. Then I took her in a halter and held the electric handle out and shocked her with it, just to be sure she understood that that area was electric. I don't know who got shocked worse, me or her! but she respected it after that.

Donna