Re: [RC] Tow vehicle - 4WD vs 2WD? - Truman Prevatt

It depends on where you go. I got alone for years quite well with a 2WD. It is nice to have 4WD "in case," however, there are some downsides. In general a 4WD will have poorer mileage than the same set up in a 2WD. The turning radius of a 4WD will be greater than a comparable 2WD.  The tire wear is a little greater on a 4WD.

Many people do just fine with a 2WD.

Truman

Jennifer Fleet wrote:
Hello all - trying this again, I don't think it went through the 1st time...

I'm finally getting around to purchasing my own rig.....first comes the tow vehicle purchase....I'm looking at Tahoes and Yukons (I'll only be towing a 2 horse trailer).

My question is whether I should look for 4WD or not.   I want to have it, just in case, but am having a hard time finding a nice used vehicle that has 4WD plus the other stuff I want/need.   2WDs are much more common, a bit less expensive, the towing capacity is a bit higher, and my options are much greater than with 4WD.  Only about 1 out of every 20 used Tahoes or Yukons I've found is 4WD.

So, realistically, how many of you that have 4WD really use it a lot?  Do you find you need it frequently, say to get in and out of basecamp at certain rides, and would say you couldn't live without it?  Do I really, really NEED 4WD?

I've had a 2WD Explorer for the past 9 years and have wished for 4WD exactly twice.  Both when visiting my parents in the Oregon mountains at Christmas.  Other than that, I've never needed it.  But I haven't towing horses around with the Explorer either.

Any advice on my dilemma would be appreciated!   I've found a really nice 2007 Yukon that has every other option I want, but it's 2WD and I'll need to make a decision today.

Thanks!
Jennifer

--
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them

"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them."  H.L. Mencken