[RC] The Gelding Project- MN - Raven

What an awesome project. Kudos to the U of MN for stepping up to help
the horses!!

Dr. Julie Wilson is one of the U of MN vets working on this proejct.
We LOVE Dr. Julie Wilson!!  She's an wonderful, caring vet.   I hope
other Vet teaching hospitals consider offering this program.

** The Gelding Project: Helping the Unwanted Horse One Stallion at a Time

The Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition, the Minnesota Horse Council,
the Animal Humane Society, and the University of Minnesota in
cooperation with the Minnesota Association of EquinePractitioners are
launching The Gelding Project.

This program is designed as a key step to reduce the number of
unwanted horses in Minnesota. The first aspect of the project,
Education Earns Stallions to Geldings, will encourage horse owners to
choose to make stallions into geldings through education and financial
incentives.

An interested horse owner who enrolls in the program will be eligible
for a voucher to cover the cost of castration surgery by a
participating veterinarian(includes the University of Minnesota Large
Animal Hospital), once the owner attends 8 horse health and management
educational sessions.

Here’s how the program works:

1. Get an official voucher from participating veterinarians, the
Minnesota Horse Council, or members of the Minnesota Horse Welfare
Coalition (more information listed on www.mnhorsecouncil.org ).
Vouchers cost $5.

2. Attend 8 horse health and management educational sessions,
including: General HorseCare, Reproduction, Nutrition,
Facilities/Manure Management, Equine Dentistry, Vaccinations and/or
De-worming, Horse Behavior, and a Lecture on the Unwanted Horseor
volunteer 2 hours at a MN Horse Rescue.

3. Contact a participating veterinarian to arrange castration of the
stalliona. The stallion must be halter broke b. The stallion must have
2 descended testicles c. Farm calls are not covered by the voucher

4. The voucher covers the cost of castration, anesthesia, post
operative antibiotic and tetanus vaccination or anti-toxin.

5. Complete The Gelding Project evaluation before you leave the clinic.

6. You must be at least 18 years old and a Minnesota resident to participate.

7. For more information, contact Krishona Martinson (krishona@xxxxxxx
or 612-625-6776) or Julie Wilson (wilso011@xxxxxxx or 612-625-3745).

Raven
Lucy & Molly, the Girl Doggies
Huginn & Dixie Chick, the Back Behind the Barn Ponies
Maggie Rose, the cat who makes me sneeze

I ride an Ice Pony because heart is not measured in hands.

My Blog
http://iceponytrekking.blogspot.com/

MySpace
http://www.myspace.com/iceponygoddess

Respect ALL Earthlings. We are all animals of this planet. We are all creatures.