Re: [RC] not just mangers... - Elizabeth Walker

My new trailer has chest bars, but they have pins, the same as the butt bars. The idea is that if two people are loading, one person can walk all the way through, stop and fasten the chest bar, while the other fastens the butt bar. The escape door is full length - you could stand outside the trailer and pull the pin if the horse really did get hung up on the chest bar. Once you pulled the pin, I'd shut the door and let the horse's movement free the chest bar. IMO, it would still be a dicy situation, but no dismantling of the trailer is required.

As for getting their heads under dividers, chest bars, etc. - I think the main prevention is proper training, and restraint when in the trailer.

I let Caisson check everything out before I started confining him. I let him bat the butt bar around (I made him quit when he got it swinging around like a club), and yes, he stuck his head under the chest bar .. once. Scared himself, and backed out in a hurry - but since he wasn't restrained in any way, it was no big deal (and now he hopefully knows better.)

As for loading - I trained him to load just like Kat described - I stay at the back, he walks in and I fasten the butt bar, close up the trailer, then go around and secure his head. I always have some treats up front, so he knows to walk in and put his head *over* the chest bar to get the treats.