Re: [RC] Slant/ Manger Style Trailers - Truman Prevatt

I've never noticed it.? The only issue I have ever had is I have one horse that likes to put his head over the divider and bit the horse in the stall in front of him. He has a tie to keep him from getting his head over the divider and on his mouth on the horse in front of him.

I've hauled horses from FL to all parts North - to Michigan, to all parts West, Utah, CO, WY and Idaho in a slant load with a manger without any issues or any sign of loin soreness. I do however, even with the one I tie allow them to get back far enough they can get their butts wedged in so they don't have to brace if they want to brace by leaning against the divider on one side. That might cause some soreness on one side.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Anybody ever noticed more loin soreness on horses hauled in a slant load? I remember a vet commenting that the incidence of horses vetting in sore on one loin went way up when slant loads got popular.

P.S. I once saw a group of men standing around scratching their heads at a horse sale, all staring at a little 2 horse trailer. Looked inside and there was a horse, very calmly in the front area of the trailer with the chest bar (no manger)under his armpits and his front feet a few inches off the floor. This was a horse sale. Seems like they finally solved the problem by scaring him bad enough to make him get himself off of there.  I was hired to haul an expensive QH mare which immediately, intentionally put her front feet in my manger. Her owners just said, "Take off, she does that". >shudder< I guess she got down when she needed all four feet under her to keep from falling.

Angie McGhee