Re: [RC] re: backing out of trailer / pulling back (bungees) - Sharon Levasseur

I'm glad it's working for your horse, but I have first-hand experience with the bungee-breaking phenomenon. Back when I was young and relatively new to horses, my friend and I used bungee ties (with quick-release snaps, even). We had purchased four... and three were broken within the first month.

Having now seen pictures on the internet of what COULD have happened, I thank my lucky stars that our horses were not injured. I've seen horses lose HALF THEIR FACE from the shredded ends of a failed bungee.

It's possible that the heavy-duty solid rubber ones are safer, kind of like a tire inner-tube, but I don't know.

-Sharon L. in Maine

Quoting Michelle Aquilino <michelle.antoinette@xxxxxxxxx>:

My horse is excellent at backing out of the trailer.  One day she wasn't
backing out when I asked, and I was quite confused, until I realized I had
forgotten to untie her.  I'm not sure if she would do the same when in the
back stall, and being asked to back out, but still...  I love my horse ;-)
-  I may try keeping her untied, and see how that goes, but slightly
tentative.

I use the bungie ties with my horse, but that's because she pulls back
because she thinks she can get free, not out of panic.  I was tentative at
first (worried she'd just pull back, anchor, pull back, anchor, etc...), but
the first (and only time so far) she pulled back at all on it, I remember
her pulling back very calmly, feeling the bungie (thus, no end point),
looking confused, and coming forward again.  It was funny the expression on
her face ;-)  -  I must provide the disclaimer though, that I have heard
about these breaking once past a certain extent.  The advice I was given,
was to stay away from the bungie if your horse is really freaking out, just
in case it breaks.

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"