[RC] horse that pulls back - Amy Major

Hi,
I just wanted to give you some encouragement.  My first horse ever pulled back so hard the first day I owned him that he broke two lead lines and almost sat on a car that was parked near him.  Not a great start for a novice horse person.  Actually, his favorite direction was back (and still is really).  I mean for everything, fly spray, water hoses, etc etc etc.  He had (has) terrible claustrophobic issues.

I did extensive ground work with him and worked with a very capable friend in addition to a great trainer.  I didn't really focus too much on the pulling back issue but worked on all aspects of respect and giving to pressure.  He is now fine to leave tied to a trailer even in strange situations and also I have personally witnessed him get to the end of his rope and step forward when he feels the pressure.

In the trailer I use the blocker tie.  (And for some time I used it outside the trailer.) Mostly because I feel that if they loose their footing, the blocker tie will prevent them from hanging themselves.  If your guy stops fairly fast when he is scared then he would be a great candidate for the blocker tie.  I basically gives a bit without completely letting go so the horse does not feel "trapped".

It is a scary thing, I know to have a horse pull back.  But I think that if you are patient and work on all levels of giving to pressure, it will get better and maybe even resolve completely.

Just my experience for what it is worth :).