[RC] tight hind muscles part II - Donna DeYoung

Test his selenium levels first. -- what is involved? blood test?

Second check over his diet? Does he get grained? Sugars?

Yes, I pull him out from other horses and feed separate twice a day. He is almost 16 hds, lean racey build. AM grain is 1 1/2 large scoops purina omolene 200 (sweet feed) plus 2 cups fat supplement. same in PM. Plus a few flakes of alfalfa if he will stay stationary while separated long enough to eat it. Just upped his feed about 2 weeks ago and added fat supplement because he was losing weight (various reasons, new to ride atmosphere, paced, at home paced when I tried separating, one of my horses was running him off round bale, etc.)

What type of hay and how much?  Daily environment etc? Turned out 24/7 in 3 acre pasture currently supplemented w/ coastal hay round bales until my main pastures are ready for spring/summer grazing. Turned out w/ other horses - pregnant mares and gentle gelding. Doesn't like to be separated.

What's his conditioning program?  Started conditioning a few weeks before first LD in Feb - LSD. 10 to 14 mile trail rides - long slow trots or arena type work, some fast trot work - . Now condition lightly between rides and before day of ride (1 to 2 hrs).

What's his temperment and age? He is pretty laid back at home when w/ other horses (they are very quiet), but herd-bound, nervous on trails. Very strong on bit. 8 yrs old. formerly in training for show horse before I bought him. would make an excellent race horse! very competitive on trails.

Donna