Re: [RC] late start at rides - heidi larson

Hi Donna - most rides don't care if you start late - the out timer in the AM
usually waits around for 15+ min., however, if you're worried about not having
someone see you leave, you could be on the ground, walk to the start person,
tell them you're checking in and then walk back to camp, let the racers go,
give your horse 20-30 min. and then have a nice safe start out of camp.  It's
totally to your horse's benefit to have a controlled start and learning in the
beginning of this sport rather than having to retrain is way easier.  I also
have been known on many an occasion to get off and walk if my horse gets crazed
at any time during a ride.  Typically he gets that way at about 12 miles and
again at about 35 miles. (It usually has to do with groups passing us.) We've
always left about 15 min. after the "pack" but he has such a nice big trot,
that we very nearly pass everyone by the end of the ride.  In the first couple
rides of our season, we also took
extra time at every vet check, 10-15 min. just to make sure he was
eating/drinking and relaxing.  I still will if I think he needs it.  We were
going to do Tevis last year and some local riders here told me that the start
was the only thing they worried about for me as he'd never gone out at the
"very" beginning.  So, at the Redwoods ride and a couple others last fall, I
let him go out in the beginning.  I think due to his prior calm starts, he was
so good, we left on a loose rein (mostly) and I was overall very pleased with
how he behaved.  I ride in a Myler snaffle if that matters.  So, our years of
leaving late paid off.
.      o o          o o
.    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\
.       o  o    o-- /