Re: [RC] okay, another question - Truman Prevatt

Title: Message
A pulled rider is not suppose to continue. In reality some of the AERC rules have to be tempered with where the ride is held. For example take the old LBL ride where the basecamp is at a USFS public for fee campground. The camping is a treaty with the USFS not the ride manager or the AERC. The AERC nor the ride manager have no preferential use of the trails - as is true on most public lands.

As soon as a rider is pulled or gets his completion he is no longer in competition - hence any AERC authority over such a rider ceases. So if a rider decides to take his horse out once he is say pulled for lameness to see if he could figure out where or why - he is on his own time in a on public trails in a public equestrian camping facility.

The only thing the AERC has jurisdiction over is those people entered in the event. I am sure one could file a protest against a person if they did what I described above related to "horse welfare" issues. But that I think is a somewhat slippery slope since the only time a person is considered in competition is after they check in till the time they are pulled or have received a completion. If they are not in competition - the AERC rules do not apply. The AERC rules do only apply to those entered in an AERC event during the time they are in the event.

Truman

sherman wrote:
I any non-entered horse riding with you, whether in front, alongside or behind, was considered pacing or prompting, and most horses think it is too since most are competitive to some degree, unless they are only walking, but many horses are even competitive at a walk and want to get ahead or feel pushed to go faster from the horses behind them. I thought I'd even read that a DQd rider could not continue on the trail, but I suppose that would affect only AERC members.

Kathy

Truman wrote:

But you would have to establish the rider was paced or prompted by the other riders not the mere fact that the person was riding with them. There is be a difference between riding with a group of trail riders say for a mile at an area like LBL with a lot of trail riders - even if you knew them - and being paced or prompted.

It's not the act of riding with someone - it's the act of being paced or prompted to gain a competitive advantage. If I remember correctly this rule came out of people whose crews were driving behind them in 100 mile rides at the end to prompt their horse to go on.

--
"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." H. L. Mencken