Re: [RC] re: why would somebody do this? - Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF

Michelle said:  Yes, it is that way in some areas more than others.? But
people/rules/awards/etc have influenced this evolution, which is what I
was saying.? That I would vote for doing what we can to discourage the
LDs being "races" as opposed to training rides.? . . . .

Then there would really be no point in ever doing LDs.  If you take away
the element of competition or any recognition, then there's no point in
it, especially since it's equally as expensive to participate as the
upper mileage rides.  People could save a lot of money just doing their
own 25 or 30-milers close to home, rather than support the sport and the
AERC.  I fear the loss of entry-level supporters that suit up and show
up, would be detrimental to the entire sport if it were downgraded to
nothing but simple "training."  So, are you saying that any ride above
an LD is a "race?"
There are people out there that want to earnestly participate in this
sport, who consider it a huge challenge and to finish, a major
achievement.  Why take that away from them?  They paid for it like
everyone else!  Some people simply CANNOT attempt a 50 or a 100-miler
due to conditioning time constraints or physical constraints.  Doesn't
seem fair that LD rides are consistently subject to being downgraded to
nothing more than a trail ride, yet cost as much as a 100.
If it came to a point where LD's were truly just training rides and
treated as such, it is likely the attendance would drop off because it
just wouldn't be worth the time, expense and effort.  IMHO
Carrie