Re: [RC] What is the Sport? - Barbara McCrary

I have long noticed that folks who live out west have a different viewpoint than folks who live back where Caucasian U.S. history began.  I have felt that we think differently because we are all descendents of the mavericks, the independent-minded, non-conventional folks who moved out west.  Perhaps it is we westerners who rebel against the changes to the sport that basically started here in the format we recognize today.  At any rate, I suspect it will all shake down and work out, but I'm equally sure the argument will arise again from time to time.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] What is the Sport?

This must be a regional difference. When I first started riding endurance back in '88 if not for LD's - there might not have been many endurance rides in the SE. It has been quite common for years that there is the same recognition at rides for top 10 LD and top 10 open and LD BC has been common practice in the SE for years - in 1996 time frame (may have been 1997) SERA established that LD BC be based on the same criteria as those for the open division for SERA sanctioned rides. Interestingly enough in SERA's awards program we don't use the term endurance we use "open division."  I don't know were that originated but that's been the case ever since I've been a member.