[RC] Vaccines - length of immunity - Kristi Schaaf

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the vaccine discussion is length of immunity. Not that many years ago, the AVMA changed their protocol for small animals to a 3 year schedule instead of an annual schedule. So why are horses still supposed to get vaccinated every year? I've asked vets and rec'd answers from: 'equines metabolize vaccines at a faster rate' to 'no one is going to pay for a study to see how long they last' to 'the drug companies don't want to admit that immunity lasts for years'. At any rate, if you google this subject you'll find vets and scientists who even believe that one vaccine shot gives LIFELONG immunity.

As someone with a horse who has had a VERY messed up immune system ever since a bad vaccine reaction as a yearling, I have had my eyes opened so I don't consider vaccines harmless and automatic. They can and sometimes do create havoc in immune systems, often with the damage being done with no obvious signs for a time. I weigh the pros and cons every time I consider vaccinating.

Just something to think about.

Kristi