[RC] How long do wood floors last (was:shavings in the trailer) - k s swigart

Melinda said:

How long do wood floors typically last??

It depends on how well you take care of it.? However, I have a 1993 Logan 2
horse straight load that still has the origianl wood floor in it.? And it is
still in great shape.? It doesn't show any signs of weakness top or bottom
(which I do check).

But then, I don't make the mistake of putting shavings in my trailer, which
hold moisture on the floor of the trailer rather than letting it run onto the
ground (if the horse pees in the trailer--which they rarely do unless I have
left them in the trailer for too long) and can easily clean the shit out of the
trailer (because I don't have a bunch of shavings that I have to deal with).?It
dries out quickly, and I can hose it out easily.?

I don't pull the mats up after every time that I use it (probably do that about
four or five?times a year).? But when I do pull the mats up, I usually leave
them out hanging over the center divider until the next time that I use the
trailer...so everything can dry out.

Oh yeah, and I live in Southern California, where the relative humidity is
almost always pretty low.? And it is moisture that rots wood.

I don't have much moisture comes from the air in the form of humidity (because
of where I live), or from putting a material on the floor of the trailer that
holds moisture (i.e. shavings).? Trailer floors (and trailer mats) are designed
to let moisture run off of the floor and onto the ground, unless you put some
form of absorbent material (like shavings) on top of the floor and then it
holds the moisture on the floor?instead of letting it run onto the ground.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

p.s.? I also don't use shavings in my trailer as shavings make the floor MORE
slippery.? If the horse's foot is directly on the rubber mat, it doesn't slip
at all.? If there are shavings (or any other type of debris) between the
horse's foot and the rubber mat, the horse's foot is more likely to slip.

p.p.s.? Shavings in the trailer also make it REALLY hard to clean the thing out
well enough to be able to sleep in it, which, since I don't have a living
quarters trailer, I have done plenty of times at a ride camp.