[RC] professional horse transporters - k s swigart

Barry Cole said:

On the other side, we've hauled horses for friends once
?or twice in our own trailer to help cover fuel costs or to
?help move a rescue horse to better conditions and have
?had friends haul our horses occasionally.

There is a BIG difference between taking a friend's horse in your trailer along
with yours and letting them chip in for gas and posting an advertisement on an
international internet mailing list offering horse transport services to total
strangers for compensation.

You are on the edge of legally being considered a professional horse hauler in
the former situation (you definitely are in some states); you are most
definitely legal a professional horse hauler in the latter situation, and you
need to be licensed and insured for it if you want to be legal on the road.?
Your regular driver's license ain't gonna be legal for it, you need a
commercial driver's license.? And your regular vehicle insurance isn't going to
cover you if you get in an accident unless you succed in lying to the insurance
company about what you were doing...and then you have added insurance fraud to
your crimes.

It isn't just the owner of the horses being hauled that is taking a risk by
engaging in this transaction; the person doing the driving is as well.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to haul a stranger's horse for money,
because the instant I took money for it I would become an unlicensed driver
driving an uninsured vehicle.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)