Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:22:03 -0800
From: trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Elyte "treat" -- overall effectiveness
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Am curious about the contents of an electrolyte "treat" that is on the market.  It is marketed as a "tasty reward" rather than a bona fide elyte.  This product was not developed with the needs of the endurance horse in mind.  I will post the contents and then would like feedback from those who are very familiar with the needs of a 25-mile LD horse as to how this product relates to the overall e-lyting needs.

I am one of those who is very leery of elytes:  Scared to death of overdoing it.  Scared to death of not doing it.  How will this product affect the endurance horse?

0.55%:  phosphorus
1.5%:  salt (min)
2.0%:  salt (max)
3.0%:  potassium (min)
44.0%:  total sugars (as invert) (Min)

Ingredients:  carrot powder, potassium phosphate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, cornstarch, egg whites, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, silicon dioxide, artificial color.
Thank you very much for feedback that will be enlightening and helpful in making intelligent decisions for helping our horses stay metabolically sound.

Beth in Texas