Re: [RC] Magnesium question - was flax seed and thyroid - heidi larson

Dr. Kellon, what do you think about adding cinnamon for
insulin resistance?  I've read it's also a good source of
magnesium.  For Ridecampers, I'm additing some links to
articles.

Heidi

http://chetday.com/type2diabetes.htm

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20031205/cinnamon-helps-type-2-diabetes

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/qalibrary/f/cinnamon.htm

--- Eleanor Kellon <drkellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

not the right Heidi, but I've read something that Dr.
Kellon wrote a long time ago, something about Magnesium
deficiency in Cushings type horses/ponies and how it
could
help.  Maybe she will read this and confirm and expound.
======================

Magnesium is an old folk remedy for laminitis in the UK.
Never made much
sense to me but about 10 years ago I did a field trial of
magnesiufm
supplementation in chronically laminitic and
cresty/overweight horses and
ponies. In the process of researching what effects of
magnesium might be
responsible for this, I ran across both the older studies
on ponies being
insulin resistant, and human work showing a link between
magnesium
deficiency and insulin resistance or diabetes. Eureka
moment.

I don't want to go too far off topic for this group but
if anyone has a
strong interest in this topic you might want to join:

even if it's just to read the information in the files.

Getting back to endurance, someone said a while back they
thought magnesium
was the ignored electrolyte. To a large extent, that's
true. In his
excellent article on feeding endurance horses, Dr.
Spangfors recommended a
2:1 ratio of calcium:magnesium in the diet a long time
ago:

http://www.ker.com/library/advances/143.pdf

Some nutritionists in this country (like Bill
Vandergrift) agreed, and I
certainly do too, but the NRC feeding requirements always
set a much lower
target magnesium - unitl now. In the 2007 edition,
they're finally down to a
2:1 ratio for exercising horses.

Eleanor

--