[RC] Magnesium question - was flax seed and thyroid - Eleanor Kellon

not the right Heidi, but I've read something that Dr.
Kellon wrote a long time ago, something about Magnesium
deficiency in Cushings type horses/ponies and how it could
help.  Maybe she will read this and confirm and expound.

Magnesium is an old folk remedy for laminitis in the UK. Never made much sense to me but about 10 years ago I did a field trial of magnesiufm supplementation in chronically laminitic and cresty/overweight horses and ponies. In the process of researching what effects of magnesium might be responsible for this, I ran across both the older studies on ponies being insulin resistant, and human work showing a link between magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance or diabetes. Eureka moment.

I don't want to go too far off topic for this group but if anyone has a strong interest in this topic you might want to join:

even if it's just to read the information in the files.

Getting back to endurance, someone said a while back they thought magnesium was the ignored electrolyte. To a large extent, that's true. In his excellent article on feeding endurance horses, Dr. Spangfors recommended a 2:1 ratio of calcium:magnesium in the diet a long time ago:

Some nutritionists in this country (like Bill Vandergrift) agreed, and I certainly do too, but the NRC feeding requirements always set a much lower target magnesium - unitl now. In the 2007 edition, they're finally down to a 2:1 ratio for exercising horses.

Eleanor

--
Eleanor M. Kellon, V.M.D.
Equine Nutritional Solutions