[RC] Presidents Cup - time for bed! - Steph Teeter

Neither of the 2 riders from Great Britain will ride tomorrow. They both had foot soreness from the pads (sand underneath). They couldn't find horses to ride at this late date either, so they'll help crew for others and make the most of the day.

Spirits are generally very good though. To be here is very special, and several of the foreign riders are here for the first time. It's fun seeing their enthusiasm. Their first time to see the incredible spice souks, the camels that wander the desert, the big red ball at sunset, the amazing city landscape that sprang up out of the sand.

And the new friendships that are made - some of which seem to last forever. This is probably the one thing that keeps bringing me back - to know so many people from so many different countries, the friendships that span the years and oceans. That is the gift that endurance - these horses - have given me more than anything else. Miguel and Celina Pavlovsky are here, and their Gaucho train Hugo Mendez and his wife Lucia. Hugo is dressed in classic gaucho dress, handsome as usual. I love it. The Malaysians are here to support their King. Madiya and her great family of grooms and riders and trainers. And not just the riders - but the press and techies and officials and the whole world of Endurance.

There's a really nice feeling about the ride this year. We're still in the press room (9:30pm) - dinner is about over, the grooms and workers are cleaning up everything! Still a little music playing. The camels have gone to bed.

The horses must know tomorrow is a big day. They have to know - just like they learn to recognize a trail, or a stall, or a person. They did the vetting in today, they're here at the strange place, they're resting now. I bet they wake up just like everybody else before the alarm goes off :)

There are some new posts and photos at http://www.endurance.net/ international/UAE/2008PresidentsCup/ - another note from Kathy, and a message from Becky Hart - the new USA Chef d'Equipe. Plus a few more photo galleries. We have lots more photos to post, and John is cranking away ... but we might just have to sleep a little before we get them posted!

later-

Steph