Re: [RC] [RC] Sharing Strangles - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

As I was remembering Rumor going to Scottsdale it also brought back the fact that he contracted strangles while at the show.  Steve Heathcott showed Rumor, none-the-less, and to a top ten.  Steve's comment, "he could have done much better (5th place) if he hadn't been sick!"   Ginny Fagerland owned Rumor at the time.  I asked Steve why she continued to show him not only at Scottsdale that year but Star World as well.  He said, "what difference did it make he was there and sick or not the virus was out anyway!"  And now we know how rampid outbreaks of strangles can continue to happen.

One of the other things I learned about strangles, while living in the Central Valley of CA, is the longevity and variations of the virus that exists.  For example, Dr. Jackman, Pioneer Vet, once told me, when I was looking for a new ranch, if I had an outbreak of strangles when my horses would not have been off the ranch it would be  groundland distemper.   Meaning that the virus lives in the soil and after winters with lots of rain many horse owners in the valley will experience large outbreaks of distemper/strangles.  So, I have to wonder, if in areas that do not get a lot of frost, snow, excessive cold, are those areas equally as suseptible of holding the virus in the soil as the central valley?

Kevin and Rusty I am sorry that your horses have had to be laid up so much for the winter.  Just know that most of all of the ranches in NorCal have been laid up due to really nasty weather as well.  So, all things considered - you may still be on equal ride conditiioning by the time you are able to get your horses out and conditioned!  Here's to good thoughts that you will be out and about very soon.

D'Arcy