This is a case where I happen to like apples and the oranges in question are rather sour, dry and bitter. But at the end of the day they are different fruit. I'll bet there are plenty of people on Ridecamp who have played darts over a mug of beer and had a good time and maybe even gone into tournaments. I'm also willing to bet that there are very few, if any, who have enjoyed a game of dwarf tossing. It's similar to darts but you use little people who are willing to be tossed around. I've never played that either but I don't hear anyone saying that they are the same game, even though they both may involve considerable quantities of alcohol, a target and an object to be tossed.

Maryanne
seriously seeing two separate sports

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is my opinion that AERC riders will probably never win against the UAE riders any more, not since they are holding 100 mile flat track races.   They obviously spend vast amounts of money to get the world's most promising horses, hire trainers to condition them and run them as fast as they can with the goal to WIN.  We, on the other hand, mostly do our own training and will not run hard and fast enough to hurt our horses.  I don't think it's surprising that we aren't winning against them since Valerie beat everyone.  I have a feeling that when that happened, this male-dominated society determined never to let that happen again.  Winning gives bragging rights, national pride, and so forth.
Since American philosophy regarding our horses' welfare cannot be compared to the philosophy of winning at all costs, why do we keep subjecting ourselves to the humiliation of a foregone conclusion that we cannot win under these circumstances.  Our horses are already stressed from air travel, different feed and "trail" conditions like nothing we have here.
So why do we keep trying, over and over?  Just to prove we are good sports?

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] different sports? They are if you decide that they are. ...

hhmmmm....perhaps if AERC spent less time accommodating FEI etc.... they might actually attend to things like proper calendar scheduling, etc....just a thought.

Considering the obnoxious nature of most equine organization s- especially those that work with Arabians - frankly, AERC has historically been stellar in their focus on what they SHOULD focus on. The past few years this has not been consistently true. I am worried that what was once a top drawer organization will ALLOW itself to succumb to whatever a fat wallet bunch demand. Make no mistake - they DEMAND. So perhaps it is time that WE demand that our organization concentrate on who and what WE are. What say you?

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.

--
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx

Egypt Face to Face