RE: [RC] OT (slightly) Pregnant older mares and calcium/phosphorus - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

>, and the vet has said that older mares need to have half their diet alfalfa because they need the calcium/phosphorus.

A halfway decent grass hay will supply plenty of calcium and phosphorus, as well as usually sufficient protein for herself and a growing fetus.  An extra pound or two of a 16-18% soybean-based mare-and-foal pellet will help bump up the protein and minerals if the grass hay isn’t quite enough by itself.

> The first mare's owner (in effect I'm breed leasing her) doesn't want to feed her alfalfa because it makes her difficult if not impossible to deal with.

Fair enough.  I’ve managed old girls that got stupid on alfalfa and managed to raise some pretty strapping babies without a shred of alfalfa anywhere in sight.  Heidi has probably raised dozens of them, though I don’t know what her exact protocol is for feeding her broodmares.

 >The second mare is badly depleted.

Badly depleted in what?  Calcium and phosphorus?  If she’s still standing, she has plenty of calcium and phosphorus on board, and doesn’t need more than the usual requirements for a pregnant broodmare (which, for the first two trimesters, are the same as maintenance, but if she’s underweight, I have no objection to her being fed at a higher plane of nutrition).  If she’s depleted, as in underweight, then stand them both knee deep in good quality forage and let them go to town.  You’d be amazed at how good mares are at feeding themselves given half a chance (and half a truckload of hay) to go to it.

> I have the first mare on Mare Plus; I don't know what vitamin supplement the second mare is getting.

I like Platinum Performance for pretty much every production level, and I would probably give them a few pounds of a balanced 16-18% mare-foal pellet and all the grass forage they can stuff down 24/7.  Don’t worry about getting more calcium-phosphorus into them, trying to maximize that much calcium and phosphorus is more likely to interfere with other, less pushy minerals that are nevertheless just as important.  Make sure they’re dewormed, put out a block of salt, give them a good water source and relax.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM