Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] different sports? They are if you decide thatthey are. Long - Truman Prevatt

Most organizations that are legal entities will have similar structure - modulated by the laws and requirements in the jurisdiction in which they are organized. For example 501C3 organizations incorporated in CA will have similar corporate structures. It's not the structure - it's the people that fill in this structure that make the organization. A change in people can make a significant difference. The United States had the same structure before Abe Lincoln and after Abe Lincoln but there was a significant difference. The people involved do make the do define the soul of any organization.

The FEI in endurance has sold out and has become a corrupt organization at least its endurance program being bought and owned by the UAE. The FEI is the puppet and the UAE the puppet master. The AERC is coming perilously close to walking down the same path because of their lack of vision and reluctance to make tough decisions and stand up the values of their sport.

The sad and ironic thing is the AERC is being similarly corrupted and they are not even being paid off by the UAE. It's not a matter of if we will be painted by the same brush it is a matter of when. However, I know several long time members who have voted with their feet and have let their membership drop because of many issues they have with the direction of the AERC - the direction of FEI and the AERC blindly following the FEI being one. I also know several long time members that have decided that there is still enough good in the AERC to counter the negatives - one being the AERC blindly following the AERC - but conversations reveal it's a yearly decision that is being made.

I see the AERC at a junction. I also see a BOD that just doesn't seem to want to take a stand. As Ed so eloquently put it - the AERC has become an enabler to the abuses of the UAE funded FEI. I would go one step further and say that the AERC's silence in this matter not only makes them an enabler but it also makes them a co-conspirator. Endurance riding was developed in the US. It was a uniquely US sport that reflected the values of the US and the diversity of the melding of a huge country. The AERC is sitting on it's hand while its sport is being bastardized and the values that caused me to join (and I suspect many others) being thrown out one at a time by the bastardization of the sport.

If the FEI/UAE wants to drug their horses run the snot out of there horses for 160 km races for purses with 10 to 20 percent competition rates and multiple treatments that's fine by me - that's their choice but that not the sport I signed up for. However, I do resent the AERC allowing the taint of FEI/UAE endurance to potentially impact our sport and that is the road we are marching down. We will get to the end - and I expect it will be sooner or later. I am sure not many of us will like where this road ends. I am also sure several us long time members will not be around when it gets there.

Truman

Maryanne Gabbani wrote:
Steph, the realities of any organisation will include rules, leaders and sanctions. But that is not ALL an organisation is, those are simply the bones from which you build something. Just as the bones and skin of a person define the person as a human, the structure of an organisation will define it as an organisation. But the structure of an organisation does not define what KIND of organisation you have before you anymore than the bones and skin of a person will define what KIND of a person you have before you. Forgive me for getting all metaphysical on you all, but it is the soul of the organisation just as it is the soul of the person that determines what kind of organisation you have. And just as you can have a person with a cancer that is part of the structure, so you can have an organisation that has fatal flaws in its structure...and these fatal flaws will have a determining effect on the actual soul (please forgive me any hardline religion types but I'm using the term a bit metaphorically) of the organisation just as they will affect a person. The flaws can be overcome or they can overpower.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/livinginegypt/>

--

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H.L. Mencken