[RC] President's Cup - Young Riders - FXLivestock

When I read Steph's report I was pretty amazed with the story and thought how everyone involved was extremely lucky not to have been injured.  Of course, I am evaluating this by my own experiences in endurance and what I have observed when it comes to kids involvement with endurance horses here in the US.  There was very little in her report that even resembled the endurance we know.

On the other hand,  should we really be surprised that something like this could happen even at the young riders level?  UAE endurance racing has developed over the years with a definite influence from flat racing.   I think one of these influences is that using a "jockey" is a common and accepted part of the sport.   After over  more than a decade is anyone really surprised that this mentality could trickle down to the junior division in the atmosphere of UAE style racing?

In reading Steph's story I can really see how this could happen in the circumstances and atmosphere of this type of racing.  You are not "leasing" or borrowing a horse from an individual but from a racing stable, you are in an atmosphere in which it is may not be uncommon to have a rider completely ignorant of the horses past history and yet still be expected to be able to ride.  You are probably dealing with employees of the stable or organizing committee that are following orders and are not able to make decisions on their own.  You are also competing in an atmosphere in which it is well known that horses start, maintain, and finish at very high rates of speed.

Those that CHOOSE to accept invitations to these events, choose to support this kind of racing,  and allow their children to get on the back of a race horse they know nothing about are the ones that are responsible not the organizers and not the ride hosts.  This is not like a WEC or a Pan Am which requires concensus from the international community but more like a private party with invited guests.  Everyone who accepts an invitation to the UAE knows exactly what to expect at the party.  This is not about trying to bring a positive influence to a style of endurance which is the usual reason given for participating in events.  Certainly, invited riders have no expectations of "winning".  It may be a great opportunity for an individual to ride abroad at little or no cost, to meet other endurance riders, to experience a different culture.  But it also implies that you accept what is served at this "party".

The only benefit to writing letters to FEI might possibly be bad PR for this high profile event.

Kim

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.