[RC] need help with salmonella - Mellifluous

This is a bit convoluted but I wanted to see if there are any of you who could offer some helpful advice.

One of my friend's friends horses has been diagnosed with salmonella and is at the local vet school being treated.  I don't know how bad it is, I was told that the horse was bleeding everywhere.  Do any of you have any experience with salmonella in horses and what sort of precautions should be taken at the farm the horse came from to prevent it from spreading to other horses.  I would think it would be treated like a strangles outbreak?

I will add more information as I get it.

Thanks!

Mel