[RC] Equine Insurance - Mike Lewis - Sharon Hahn

Mike, it sounds like you are being very responsible in talking all of this through with your lessee - good for you!  The thing to remember is to have a plan that covers all contingencies and make sure someone else doesn't get stuck with the decision on whether or not to treat or euthanize your horse if you are unreachable.  Most vets require a down payment or at least a signature acknowledging financial responsibility before they will do colic surgery, for example.  You may wish to have a discussion with your vet as well as with the lessee - and possibly leave the vet with an authorization to charge your credit card.   I haven't had my own horses insured, but I understand that the insurance company often must be notified prior to treatment - so make sure your lessee and vet have that information on file, too.  Good luck and best wishes for a safe and speedy return.

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?