[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Abu Dhabi: Sidebottom finishes on top inLadies' Cha... - Merri

Gulfnews.com - Full story

By M. Satya Narayan, Staff Reporter

Abu Dhabi: Sue Sidebottom of Great Britain staved off a stiff challenge in the final loop of 16km to win the second round of the Shaikh Khalifa Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Challenge 100-km ride for Lady Riders sponsored by Sorouh and held at the Al Asayel Endurance Village in Sweihan on Friday.

Sue, who is a key member of the Dubai Equestrian Club's endurance organising committee, notched up her first ever win on Fenwick Cadenza and the pair, who finished 5th in the First Round, are now in contention for the overall championship award.

Sue led in all the loops but in the final loop she was challenged by First Round winner Afra Khalifa Al Suwaidi, fellow Briton Kayleigh Smith and Aliya Ali Mohammad Yousuf Al Marzouqi.

But Sue held on to win the ride with Reem Shaban on Rivendell Sharman finishing just ten seconds behind her and Smith third, a further 29 seconds adrift.

"I'm over the moon. This is my first ever win and I am delighted," said Sue after receiving her trophy and Dh30,000 cash prize for her winning effort.

"On the final loop, I was almost passed by two riders, but Fenwick Cadenza came up with that extra effort," said Sue.

Afra, who won the opening round, also becomes a leading contender with her fourth-place finish yesterday along with Smith, who has a 4th and 3rd place finishes in the two rounds.

Shaikha Hissa Bint Sultan Bin Khalifa Al Nahyan on Sabee also did extremely well to finish sixth while another Al Asayel rider, Shamsah Awad Al Otaiba finished 5th while her horse Yaraandoo Jakara Silver was adjudged the 'Best Conditioned Horse.'

Shaikh Mohammad Bin Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Shaikha Fatma Bint Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Shaikh Khalifa Bin Sultan Bin Khalifa Al Nahyan along with Tasweeq managing director Lara Sawaya and Sorouh's Azadi gave away the trophies.

More...

--
Posted By Merri to Endurance Riding: News at 2/08/2008 10:07:00 PM