RE: [RC] where is selenium high/low? - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I think 10 mg a day is a good starting point, but you really don’t know the optimum levels for an individual horse until/unless you run selenium assays to get it dialed into a good level.  The horse I mentioned in an earlier post that went from multiple non-completions in 25s and 50s prior to supplementation, to good finishes in multiple 100s, including Tevis and I think either BH100 or Ft Howe100.  The first 60 days, that horse got 50 mg of selenium yeast a day, which many who consider a ‘toxic’ dose, but was what was needed for this individual to get whole blood levels up over 200.  Heidi likes injectable Se, I prefer sticking to oral if at all possible, being a big chicken at heart, and this horse responded well to oral alone, if more slowly than injectable would have taken.  There were some other specific details that also made injectable a less-than-ideal choice, but that’s irrelevant to this thread.  Later the daily dose went down to 30 mg a day during the riding season, and around 15-20 mg a day during the off season, and the horse continued to do great until retirement.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing a post that “he” was now the proud mommy of a nice filly, so I guess “he” was actually a mare.  If not, then the extra selenium really did do some marvelous things for his reproductive efficiency as well as performance. <g>

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: M. Paul Latiolais [mailto:latiolp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 6:59 AM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxx
Cc: * *
Subject: Re: [RC] where is selenium high/low?

Susan,

I was going to ask this question at Convention, but since it was brought up....

As you may remember, hay in Western Oregon is low in selenium (mean .274 ppm with an sd of .15 ppm in my county).  At the last PNER convention you attended, I THINK You recommended supplementing 10 ppm selenium for endurance horses, which is twice the "standard" recommendation.  Is my memory correct?  And is that still your recommendation?

You can put me off until convention if you like.  I can ask then.

-Paul