Re: [RC] [RC] [SPAM] [RC] Pounds of hay - Eleanor Kellon

On Feb 6, 2008 1:54 PM, <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This does underscore the importance of forage as the primary feed source, though...

Amen. I couldn't agree more. To me, it's nice to have an better explanation for what people have found to be true by trial and error, and for why some horses get into trouble easier than others.

In my mind, supplements of anything should be used only when needed. The finding that baseline chloride requirements are actually almost 3 times higher than what was "assumed" is a bit of a major "oops" moment . A horse on a predominantly or exclusively forage ration at usual intakes and up to "moderate" (now defined for feeding purposes as 3 to 5 hours/week, predominantly walk and trot) work levels will be fine. However, horses not being generously fed forage, if not ad libitum, are headed for trouble.

The new information underscores the importance of the diet, including on race day, and makes it much easier to determine if, and when, a horse might benefit - and from what.

Eleanor

--
Eleanor M. Kellon, V.M.D.
Equine Nutritional Solutions