From: wendy mancini <wendym2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RideCamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 6:27:46 PM
Subject: [RC] Big horses in endurance

    I started endurance on a little QH - 14.2 but his ideal wt is 950 lb.  He did his first CTR & endurance at age 18.  What I have learned from him is that QH take a little longer to develop the distance muscles but they certainly can.  He's a black bay and even in 100+ temps recovers as fast or faster than some Arabs.  Feed hi fat feed like, Ultium or XTN - there are others.  With QH it's best to avoid the hi sugar feeds.
    Since Jim is in his 20s (turning 26), I have a younger guy I've been bringing along.  Danza is a 15.3 QH and 1050 -1100.  From age 5 - 8 we just did a lot of LSD, speeded up in 2007 and did 2 - 1 day 100 in very nice time.  Then he tor a hind suspensory & has been out for a year.  Fully healed now & completed a nice 50 in Nov in 5.5 hr.
    My point is, yes they can.  It just takes a little different strategy.  The LSD builds long lean muscle.  I'm still battling some bulky muscle on Danza.  I know with the next 1000 miles it will be gone.

Wendy Mancini
Old Meadow Jim
Dusty Grand Bonanza (aka Danza)