RE: [RC] Selenium per Susan Garlinghouse - Terry Banister

The problem for most of us is that we don't know what our hay and water contain. I know some water can be high in calcium, and feeding alfalfa and beet pulp, plus other high-calcium products could lead to stones. I got a copy of our water analysis from the Water Dept., but I don't know how to interpret it in terms of horse needs.
And as in past discussions, it is also impractical for most of us to get a hay analysis.
Oh, well.

From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: richardson.carla@xxxxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Selenium per Susan Garlinghouse
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:58:02 -0700

Agreed--the point I was trying to make is that fed at the "recommended" levels, the "high selenium" supplements have so little in them that they are not toxic even in the face of fairly high levels in feeds.  (In fact, that is why they are formulated the way they are--which unfortunately leads people in low-selenium areas to believe that they are adequately supplementing selenium if they use these supplements, which simply isn't true.)

But yes, only people in areas with low selenium need to do the sort of aggressive selenium supplementation that both Susan and I have been talking about on and off on ridecamp since dirt was young.  ;-)

Heidi

I believe that's true -- as long as people don't add supplements into feed.  I think that's the danger.  And a lot of the prepared feeds (like Ultium, that I feed) have added Se.  In fact, one of the feeding protocols of Ultium is to not overfeed, partly due to the Se level.

Adding supplements to feed is a tricky thing!  I don't add anything, just feed Ultium and shredded beet pulp, and hay of course.