[RC] new topic - compost your manure and help the world! - Nancy Reed

On that note, has anyone tried using red wriggler worms to eat their compost pile?

This is an excellent subject! Using worms to compost is usually done in a small enclosed area, such as a 2’ x 2’ plastic covered box.  You can add just about anything that does not contain meat and grease.  For worms to be happy you need a warm, moist, protected environment.  A pasture will most likely NOT be a viable place for a large worm population as it would be too wet and soft for your horses.

On my street I have a wonderful neighbor that collects all of the manure from the street and composts it for use in our gardens.  The finished compost is wonderful stuff and free!  I use it on flowerbeds and veggies as both a mulch and food.  Others have orchards and extensive gardens that flourish from this black gold. My neighbors and I have saved thousands in fertilizer costs over the past few years we have started community composting.

I urge everyone to compost all of their manure and bedding.  If you do not garden, give it so a gardener you know or advertise on Craig’s List. You might get some fresh fruit or veggie from a grateful gardener.  Manure should be composted for three reasons – as compost it is worth it weight in gold, second the landfills are getting full and third we need to keep manure out of the local waterways and ocean.

Here is a link for a video done at my neighbor’s ranch:

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/dpw/recycling/composting.html

Click on watch the video...Yep, that is my wonderful neighbor Tim and his tractor.  The very first horse is Genie, a multiple National Champion, and Legion of Supreme Honor inductee, now retired trail horse. Hope you enjoy this!

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, CA (where we have had 3+ inches of rain in the last 18 hours and more is on the way!!!)