RE: [RC] questions for breeders (real ones) - heidi

will you take back a horse you've bred that has fallen on hard times?

Yes, if at all possible.  And in one case, I practically had to get into
a fight with a rescue outfit in order to get one of ours back that had
come into their hands!

are you choosy about the mares that come to be bred to your stallions?
(Conformation/lineage/etc.)

Yep, definitely.

Do you allow grade mares to be bred to your stallions?

Depends on the circumstances.  For ranching neighbors or endurance
riders who I know will raise the foal to use, yes.

This one I've ALWAYS wondered about:  why are stud fees lower for mares of a
different breed?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  To discourage 1/2
breeds and more grade horses?

Usually the resulting partbred foal has far less economic value, and is
being raised solely as a using horse for someone with a specific cross
in mind.  For us, stud fees are not a major source of income anyway--so
although we have an advertised fee, it is negotiable for good mares or
for people that we really want to have foals by our stallions.

Do you cut back on breeding in bad economic times or do you try to breed more
often to get more stud fees out of your stallions because you need more money
in the bad economic time? (I know, run on sentence!)

That isn't up to the stallion owner--it's up to the mare owners who book
breedings.  My perception of hard times may not match someone else's
perception.  The mare owner is the one who has to make the judgment call
as to whether or not they can afford to raise a foal.  I'm not privy to
the balances in their checkbooks or to their likelihood of continuing
employment, or whatever.

Do you encourage gelding of stud colts born from your breedings?

We don't have to--that's what most people want when they breed to our
stallions.  The product of any good breeding program is riding
geldings--and since we cater to endurance riders, the few who do choose
to breed their own usually tend to want colts rather than fillies, and
nearly all of our outside breeders who have gotten colts have gelded
them without encouragement from us.  (So in a sense, the fact that we
strive to breed riding horses is an "encouragement" to geld...)

Do you keep your broodmares even when they can no longer have babies?  Do you
give them lifetime homes for the lifetime of producing that they've done for
you?

Depends on their health.  Muferra (RT Muffin's mother) had her last foal
at 25, and lived quite happily to 30.  Nothing makes me madder than
seeing stove-up scrawny miserable horses kept alive year after year just
because somebody has some sentimental attachment to them.  We love our
mares enough to put them down if life becomes a struggle for them.

Are your broodmares broke out so that when they are no longer producing, they
can have a life after kids?

We used to be more rigorous about starting young mares, until we
discovered that older ones are usually easier to start.  And we're more
apt to have them take a break after a few babies if we choose to have
riding careers for them, and then put them back in the brood band.  We
don't breed back-to-back years anyway--every other year is plenty, and
sometimes a longer lag time.  So many of our mares lead a life of
leisure in between foals that isn't really long enough to get a lot
accomplished in terms of a riding career.  Personally, I firmly believe
that mares that produce top-notch foals should be the ones that stay in
production, and mares that are borderline as breeders should become
riding horses and not be bred, so it makes more sense to only breed your
very best mares, and to keep breeding them, instead of breeding all of
the mares and then having them all have riding careers.  To cite Muferra
once again, she raised 17 foals in her lifetime (only her last one for
me)--one was RT Muffin (AERC Hall of Fame), one was Aurlani Farwa (show
hack champion and sire of many topnotch endurance horses), one was very
successful on the track, several more have produced top-notch
performers, and her youngest is about to make her endurance debut with
Patty Peck, after having some foals for us.  Muferra was (to the best of
my knowledge) never broke to ride--but she was exactly where she
belonged, which was in the broodband.

What do you personally do in these trying times to help the horse situation.

Breed fewer of our own mares, since the market for riding horses is very
limited in hard times.

Heidi