[RC] Heidi's Survey - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:47 PM, heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>   will you take back a horse you've bred that has fallen on hard times?>

Absolutely!  To do otherwise is unethical.

> are you choosy about the mares that come to be bred to your stallions?
> (Conformation/lineage/etc.)

Choosy may not be the right word I would use.  I would prefer to say that I
evaluate mares to be as compatible as possible to my stallions bloodlines,
conformation, and temperment.

> Do you allow grade mares to be bred to your stallions?

Yes as long as conformation, temperment and disposition as acceptable.
Often outcrossing lines help to introduce new blood in the lines that can
and often does give you a foal that is extradinary.

> This one I've ALWAYS wondered about:  why are stud fees lower for mares of
> a different breed?

This has always puzzled me as well.  I have bred my TB mare to a hanovarian
that was a phenomenal stud from the UK.  The resulting foal is incredible.
I don't know that I would out cross my Arab mares to other breeds.  I will
not breed my Arab stallions to other breeds unless the mare has the build,
bone density, and the breeding was for endurance.

>   Shouldn't it be the other way around?

It makes sense, Heidi, but the reality, in my experience, with those wanting
to breed their mares to a stallion of another breed are not looking for
anything but a good riding horse.

>   To discourage 1/2 breeds and more grade horses?>

Genetically speaking perhaps.  Why?  Because out crossing to other breeds
may be what is needed to clean up bloodlines.  Thicker bone density comes to
mind.  Hence one of the reasons I haven't bred my TB mare to a TB Stallion
yet.  Other than Fruitition who unexpectedly died a couple of years ago I
haven't found one that I have enough confidence will, in fact, improve bone
density in the resulting foal.  As most of us know TB's bone density as been
lacking significantly in the industry over the last 15 years.

> Do you cut back on breeding in bad economic times or do you try to breed
> more often to get more stud fees out of your stallions because you need more
> money in the bad economic time? (I know, run on sentence!)

I have only bred one horse over the last 5 years.  Not only due to the
economic times but to the market in general.

> Do you encourage gelding of stud colts born from your breedings?

I don't EVER let a colt off my property unless it is a co-own contract.  It
is more difficult to exert that control when breeding to outside mares.  All
you can do is secure a non-competive clause in the breeding contract.

> Do you keep your broodmares even when they can no longer have babies?

I did until the breakup of my last relationship that has left me financially
vulnerable.  I have had to place my older mares in order to not have to
worry about their well being.

>   Do you give them lifetime homes for the lifetime of producing that
> they've done for you?

If that is possible.

> Are your broodmares broke out so that when they are no longer producing,
> they can have a life after kids?

All of my broodmares were placed in my riding program until this breakup.
They all went to local riding programs.

> What do you personally do in these trying times to help the horse
> situation.
I don't breed additional horses that will contribute to the overall
problem.  I volunteer at rescue operations to care and place horses.

> I ask all these not to be snarky, but because I really want to know who the
> responsible breeders are.

Bottom line, Heidi, an responsible breeder is an ethical breeder!   My
breeder heros and personal nemesis - Charles and Lorraine Lee of Delhi, CA.