Re: [RC] questions for breeders (real ones)/from Sandy Adams - heidi larson

I think I love Sandy!  -  heidi  (with her permission to forward.)

On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:47 PM, heidi larson wrote:

will you take back a horse you've bred that has fallen on hard times? yes and have taken those of OTHERS under similar situations.

are you choosy about the mares that come to be bred to your stallions? (Conformation/lineage/etc.) yes we have said no to more than we have said yes to

Do you allow grade mares to be bred to your stallions? only 2 in 22 years

This one I've ALWAYS wondered about:  why are stud fees lower for mares of a different breed?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  To discourage 1/2 breeds and more grade horses? Because typically the salable value is lower, simply a matter of marketing.

Do you cut back on breeding in bad economic times or do you try to breed more often to get more stud fees out of your stallions because you need more money in the bad economic time? (I know, run on sentence!) We cut WAYYYY back.

Do you encourage gelding of stud colts born from your breedings? every single time

Do you keep your broodmares even when they can no longer have babies?  Do you give them lifetime homes for the lifetime of producing that they've done for you? yes our mares, stallions, and even the occasional get has a forever home with us. We do NOT sell or "rehome" our seniors.

Are your broodmares broke out so that when they are no longer producing, they can have a life after kids? YES YES and YES. Our horses ALL do double and triple duty. If they cannot be ridden, they do not reproduce. If they CAN be ridden, they go until they can't anymore and then they get to beautify our ranch with their presence for as long as they live.

What do you personally do in these trying times to help the horse situation. we have taken in 4 horses needing homes, helped find homes for several others, and choose NOT to breed more foals without having a home ready for them, whether it is with us or someone who we KNOW and who wants a Sal baby. I know I have angered a few mare owners in the past but I don't care - if it saves a horse from a dastardly end o a life of torture. I don't even care if the mare is bleeping FAMOUS - there had better be a purpose plus an ability to provide before we will either breed a mare or sell a horse to someone. Our "boys" are always candidates for gelding if ever they demonstrate any trait that makes them undesirable as a sire or partner. Quick to cut is what we tend to be - an though our 23 year old senior sire is called the "gentleman stallion" by people who know him, any change of tude would be quick cut - but, at 23, he also has  a home until the end. Same with my testy and MesSY but charming Raffon mare who was a giveaway - and by that I mean NO ONE WANTED her. You sound like my kinda girl!:)