[RC] What the market will bear - kathy swigart

Terry Bannister said:

This horse-slaughter ban is only an issue if the horse "industries"
?(racing and show-barn) keep overproducing, and cranking out
?thousands of excess animals for what the market will bear.

The racing and show-barns that "crank out" thousands of excess animals do not
do so at the rate that "the market will bear."? They crank out such over
production because they know that you have to produce at least ten to get one
good one (e.g. only one horse can win in a ten horse race so no matter how good
all the race horses you produce are, only a small fraction of them are going to
be winners). If what you want is a race horse, the all the non-winners are
going to be culls.

It was BETTER for all horses when these culls were killed instead of being
dumped on the rest of the horse owning public.? Trust me, culls from the race
track and show barns that were sent to slaughter were not sent there at a
profit to their producers, and their producers aren't going to stop producing
them because they are dumping their horses on the rest of the horse owning
public instead of killing them.

It is getting to the point now that the rest of the horse owning public is
discovering?that they?can't take any more of these culls and are having to kill
the horses themselves.? Personally, I thought it was better when the racing and
show industries were allowed to arrange for the killing of their culls
themselves.? And I suspect that, in a fairly short time, it will go back to
that.? Or, what will happen instead (which appears to be already happening in
northern California) is that "rescue organizations" will be the ones to start
killing horses.

Whatever the case may be, the racing and show barns do not produce masses of
culls because they think there is a market for their culls.? Their culls are a
loss no matter what the market for them.? They produce the culls because they
have to to get the one good one that they DO want.? You are living in a fantasy
land if you think that stopping foreigners from eating American horsemeat is
going to change that.

What is done with the carcass after the horse is dead is a completely separate
issue.? Personally, I think that throwing it away is a waste, and I am bothered
by the fact that that is what I am now required to do.? If you want to throw
away your dead horse or bury it or build a shrine to it, that is your
perogative, but I consider it reprehensible that there are some people who want
to impose that preference on others.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)