RE: [RC] feed prices...the rest of the story :) - Carla Richardson - Susan

I would think it’s called “what the market will bear” Not saying that the producers are taking advantage of us J

Also, it costs more to bring any shipment to the Central Coast of California. Truckers really don’t like to come to this area they would rather stick to Hwy 5.

Susan

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carla Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:56 AM
To: Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] feed prices...the rest of the story :) - Carla Richardson

I don't know why, unless you have less producers, and more demand?  Or that "everything" is more expensive in California?  Of course, a lot of things seem to be high here, too!

In Arizona, I think people pay a lot more for hay, also.  Like $12-15 a bale, for a "regular" 2 strand bale.  When we lived in Cortez, CO (in the Four Corners area) there was a huge hay producer that had semis coming and going whenever he cut and baled hay, and most of them were going to Texas and Arizona.  But that was a few years ago, during the huge drought - especially in Texas - when they were desperate for hay.  We tried to buy hay from him, but he wanted $9 a bale, way more than everyone else in  the area.  He could get it, so that was his price.  He was overpriced for us locals.

I think I've seen the least expensive hay prices in the midwest, like Kansas and Oklahoma, at least in the good years!

Carla Richardson
Colorado