[RC] Mare "PMS" - Carrie Kitley

Ok, some of you may remember I posted awhile back about what a "hussy" my mare is and how she seems to be perpetually in heat.  At the time I was told to have her checked by my vet as she could have tumors or some other anomaly of the female type.

Well, I never did do that, I thought I'd wait it out and see if winter brought her heat cycles down to a dull roar.  Instead, it seems to be getting worse and today, I had the worst ride on her I've had since I first got her and she didn't know how to walk.

She jigged and fought the bit the whole time, was so tense I could feel every muscle in her body.  She literally felt like a bomb waiting to go off for the whole ride.  The closer we got to home, the worse it got and she was BARELY controllable.  We arrived at the top of this hill just before we get back to the stables and she was FRANTIC for no apparent reason . . . to the point of being dangerous.  I was calmly attempting to holding her back or she would have galloped at break-neck speed the rest of the way!!  Well, she didn't like being held back and started a little bucking so i started turning her in tight circles, and she was actually trying buck thru the circles!!  OMG!!

By that time and after 3 hours of this horrible amped-up ride, I stopped her long enough to hop off (to save my neck!), and was going to walk her the rest of the way back.  Nothin doin!  She maniacally started running circles around me, shoving me, trampling me and I finally had had enough.  So to spare possible injury, I just let go and let her run home (it was only a few hundred yards by this time and on the stable property).

Relieved of her 'electrified' antics, I took a deep breath and quietly walked back, only to find her flaunting herself in front of this gelding she has a "crush" on.  She's lost her marbles.  It was as if all the hard work I've put into her in the last 3 years went right out the window in one day and she reverted back to being a whacked-out "wild filly!"  By the way, she's almost 16 (going on 6).
Ok, so is it possible that mare's cycles can cause this behavior or was there a Mountain Lion stalking us all day? lol  Just for the record, I AM going to call my vet now.  But I wanted to hear if anyone else had experiences like this with mares in heat.  Thank you, gang.  :)

~Carrie  ~~___(\
                              // \\

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
~ Old Arabian Proverb