Re: FW: RE: [RC] cutting costs for feed - Karen Sullivan

In northern Calif we have access to a great product from Elk Grove milling called Stable
Mix....it comes in 50 lbs bags or 250 lb barrels...and can be fed as a complete feed, and
is also weed free. It;s also a nice size pellet, not too big or small.....and is nutritionally balanced.
There are performance mixes and senior, etc.

If you fed it without any hay, it would probably cost about $60 per month to feed a horse...and right now, that is comparable to what i am paying for hay...BUT the huge difference is that there
is absolutely no waste...they clean it all up.

I am using it to stretch out my hay...i.e. feeding hay less therefore less waste...and filling
in the gaps with the stable mix.

I am also feeling less hay at a sitting to avoid wastage, raking up scraps in the haybarn daily...and
letting the easy keeper mustang clean up after the other horses....

I have a couple kinds of grass hay, some i got as small bales for $4.50 a bale...two of them make a standard size bale....this year i paid $14 a bale for alfalfa 3 string delivered, about 120 lbs....I paid same amount for same size delivered grass hay...but my best deal recently is 130 lb. forage mix/oat, 130 lb bales for $11.50....i have to pick up.....

I have under 10 acres, grazed down...but the horses can roam and grub around all day generally and clean up hay scraps...yes, i am really trying to conserve....while still trying to feed-up everyone so that they look plump and healthy all winter......

The scrawny 2 year old is getting free choice grass hay, 2 flakes alfalfa a day, grazing next door a few hours a day on a permanent pasture, AND 10 lbs daily of a mix of the stable mix pellets, rice bran pellets, omolene 100 and another complete feed, with oil splashed all over it.  She has gone from 756 on the weight tape to 888 in two months....

oh well, still cheaper than boarding....!
Karen